EDGE HILL & RUDD
December 01, 2017
Edge Hill was considered one of the finest wine estates
in Napa Valley, until it ceased production in 1907.
Inspired by this legacy, we have restored this historic property and are now handcrafting a limited production of select wines, using exceptional grapes from heritage vineyard sites.
The last in a series of five volcanic landslides created a small sliver of land in Napa Valley and gifted it with the rare combination of attributes necessary to grow high-quality Bordeaux grape varietals. Measuring only one mile wide and one and one half miles long, this strip of land winds across the valley floor in the Oakville appellation, through the 55 acre Rudd Oakville Estate Vineyard, and continues north only one-half additional mile. Leslie Rudd was fortunate to become a steward of a portion of this land in 1996. His reverence for ensuring that the land achieves its full potential is shared by every Rudd employee and underlies every action we take in the fields as well in the cellar. His vision for the winery was founded upon a passion for the land and a clear intent to build a multi-generational winery with a legacy of excellence. The winery is so beautiful and amazing.
1. Edge Hill Abel 1833 Red 2012
2.Edge Hill Bacigalupi Chardonnay 2014
3. Edge Hill Estate Mixed Blacks 2015
4. Edge Hill Mixed Whites 2015
5. RUDD OAKVILLE ESTATE, MT.VEEDER SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014
6. RUDD SAMANTHA'S OAKVILLE ESTATE, OAKVILLE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013
I feel so honored to have these amazing wine in my cellar.
1. Edge Hill Abel 1833 Red 2012: One of the top quality red wine, I had these wine on my birthday with my wine buddy everybody enjoyed this wine so much I could see the happiness on their face, It was so memorable. Classic expression of cabernet sauvignon, Inky, cream de cassis, tobacco, meaty, Juicy, fruit aromatics, A powerful wine from the generous and classic vintage of 2012 Abel.
2. Edge Hill Bacigalupi Chardonnay 2014: Nice acid profile, Need time to open it up, cellar it for another 1-2 year, peach apricot, low tannins,
3. Edge Hill Estate Mixed Blacks 2015: A blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Mourvedre, Grenache and Carignane, the 2015 edge hill estate mixed blacks presents a rich expression of ripe baked fruit and peppery spice. On the mouth, the wine exhibits roasted fruit aromatics, rounded evolution and inviting texture.
4. Edge Hill Mixed Whites 2015: An age-worthy blend of grenache blanc, ribolla gialla and greco di tuffo the 2015 edge hill mixed whites combine floral and citrus aromatics with textural depths akin to a grand cru chardonnay. A presence of acid keeps the wine focused and lively. Tannins and its mineral, crisp finish make this wine structured an well suited to accompany a variety of dishes. We suggest serving this wine cooler, but not cold with decanting to aerate the wine
5.RUDD OAKVILLE ESTATE, MT.VEEDER SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014: In the glass, the 2014 Rudd Mt.veeder sauvignon blanc is pale and brilliant with an almost silver tint. The nose is elegantly suggestive of sauvignon blanc with both woody and citrus notes-especially lemon peel that develops into white, citrus flower aromatics with air. With a textured entry, followed by mineral, even saline texture, the evolution is accented by an earthy, dry tea leaf aspect. The white peach character of Semillon adds a fruit element to the wine.
6. RUDD SAMANTHA'S OAKVILLE ESTATE, OAKVILLE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013: Deep in color, with violet edges that hint at its natural acidity, the 2013 is a result of the marriage between the fragrant cabernets that come from the rudd alluvial fan on the north blocks and the structured, more masculine cabernet expression from the iconic red volcanic core stone soils.
The 2013 rudd Oakville estate Samanthas cabernet sauvignon is rich in texture with classic Cabernet aromatics freshly cassis berries and warm tobacco. An integrated, harmonious evolution in mouth reveals more exotic aromatics with floral and tea notes coupled with a fresh, mineral texture. A wine with a level of precision persistence and aging potential of 15+ years
I would like to thank my team for introducing me to this amazing wine and I would like to give credit to my teammates.
Photo courtesy: Rudd Vineyards, Edge hill vineyards
CONTACT NICKY FOR FURTHER INFO, EMAIL NICKY @ email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a comment
June 04, 2020